Tuesday, March 23, 2010

This is not therapy

     In class when someone asks a stupid question, do you think they know they just asked a stupid question? How could you not know… Next time I’m going to lean over and say, “I’m sorry, did you hear yourself just now..? That saying, ‘there are no stupid questions,’ it’s not true. There are. So stop asking them.”

     If you ever sign up to take a communications class please understand that just because you will be learning about communication theories and you may have revelations about why you do certain things or why your partner acts a certain way, the rest of us in the class do not want to hear your stories about it. Please do not confuse the teacher with your therapist. She doesn’t know why your boyfriend gets annoyed by you. Perhaps it’s because you never stop talking. Let’s skip ahead to the chapter where you shut your mouth.

     If you are going to teach a class, do not ask me to read the chapter and write an in-depth journal about the concepts in that chapter and then expect me to care about anything you have to say during class. You just had me teach myself the entire chapter. Everything you are saying I already know. If you would like to give me some insight on the chapter or use examples that didn’t come from the chapter to better explain the concepts, this is fine. You sitting up there with your PowerPoint going over the entire chapter is like watching a movie more than once. After the first time, I’m no longer interested.

     I will never be a teacher. But If I was, I would take my class. And if you relate to what I’m talking about, so would you. If you do not relate… Still take the class - I’ll enjoy berating you. As will everyone else.

There are plenty of stupid questions out there. If you ask one, I will tell you.

    That question that just popped into your head; it's stupid. Don't ask me that... Seriously. Oh god, you're not going to listen are you? Here it comes...

2 comments:

angela said...

i love the chapter where she shuts her mouth.

Emily Strawn Photography said...

:)